Coburn Technologies, providing innovative, end-to-end customer solutions to the world’s ophthalmic lens processing industries, introduce their latest lens generator to the current Cobalt product line – Cobalt NX and a brand new system, the Duality: New All-In-One Lens De-Taper and Cleaner
“Duality is unlike any other machine on the market today,” says Alex Incera, President of Coburn Technologies. “We have combined two crucial steps of lens processing into one machine, and have automated those processes in a cost effective and compact platform.”
Duality is built with a variety of key performance features, including:
- De-Taping Mechanism: Duality effectively removes surface saver tape off a broad variety of lens geometries and materials eliminating the labor associated with the traditionally manual process.
- Two-Sided Lens Cleaning: Clean lenses are critical to improving coating yields. Duality provides a thorough removal of all debris often found on a lens after surfacing – polish, tape adhesive and blocking materials. First, the lens is put through mechanical brush action cleaning, then a high pressure wash with detergent, followed by a rinse and dry.
- Fully Automated: Fed by a conveyor, the lens is automatically removed from the tray, de-taped, cleaned on both sides, and prepped for coating without manual intervention.
- Savings: The investment in Duality is easily justified with the labor savings usually applied to tape removal and lens cleaning, and is significantly lower than the cost of the competitive products.
- Small Footprint: At less than 12 ft2, this system has a significantly smaller footprint the size of the nearest competing products.
- Fast: Each of the three stations – tape removal, front side cleaning, and back side cleaning – completes its function in 20-30 seconds.
“With the introduction of Duality, we are expanding automation one step further in the lens production process. Duality, together with our Velocity automated coater, offers hands free processing from tape removal through cleaning and coating,” states Wendell Slone, Director of Coburn’s Lab Works Group.
The Cobalt NX continues to push the limits to produce superior quality lenses in terms of form and finish, and more accurately replicates the target lens geometry. Cobalt NX is a result of extensive market research efforts and customer visits in Asia, Latin America and the US”, stated Alex Incera, President of Coburn Technologies.
Key features of the Cobalt NX include:
Enhanced Lens Quality: The quality of the lenses produced with the Cobalt NX is far superior to that of previous generators. Cobalt NX is designed for processing all indexes of lenses
(1.498 to 1.74).
Auto-Calibration: Manual calibration is still available for those customers wanting to control this process, but for those who want an automated machine, the Cobalt NX introduces automatic calibration for more efficient and faster processing.
On Board Engraving: Cobalt NX now brings engraving onto the machine, with capabilities to produce simple shapes and alphanumeric using the secondary axis. Now the need to purchase additional equipment is eliminated.
Interrupted Cut: Interrupted cut brings a new feature to Coburn’s lens generators, which will be available on both the x- and v-axis. This eliminates the need for a granulator.
Cold Mist/Dry Cut: With on-board cold mist/dry cut, the need for expensive waste management is removed.
“Cobalt NX brings next level lens generating techniques to our product line. We are also excited to say that this new generator is validated on several branded and non-branded freeform lens designs,” added Wendell Slone, Director of Coburn’s Lab Works Group.